[Vm-dev] Re: Debugging lock-ups on Windows

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Sep 2 19:33:56 UTC 2014

It looks like the Java VMs (IBM's at least, and probably others) handle
this on Windows thus:

http://www.latenighthacking.com/projects/2003/sendsignal/

If you google "sendsignal.exe" you will find more.

This sounds like a reasonable approach to me, because sendsignal already
exists in both source and binary form, and it is widely used for tech
support of Java VMs. It might come from "latenighthacking.com", but I
figure that if it's good enough for IBM, it's probably good enough for us
too ;-)

I'm not entirely sure how the CTRL+Break would be caught on the VM side,
but there may be some sample code in the link above or elsewhere.

HTH,
Dave