[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] PharoLauncher on Windows not the latest version

Nicolai Hess nicolaihess at web.de
Thu Sep 4 20:18:25 UTC 2014

>  I can confirm this behaviour.  It looks like FilePlugin cannot 'rename'
> a folder across drives, although it can rename a file across drives. A hack
> to demonstrate from Workspace...
>
> filePlugin := FilePluginPrims allInstances first.
> filePlugin  rename: 'C:\Temp\Test\file1.txt' to:
> 'C:\Temp\Test\file2.txt'.  "-->sucess"
> filePlugin rename: 'E:\Temp\Test\file1.txt' to: 'E:\Temp\Test\file2.txt'.
> "-->sucess"
> filePlugin rename: 'C:\Temp\Test\file2.txt' to: 'E:\Temp\Test\file3.txt'.
> "-->sucess"
>
> filePlugin rename: 'C:\Temp\Test\folder1' to: 'C:\Temp\Test\folder2'.
> "-->sucess"
> filePlugin rename: 'E:\Temp\Test\folder1' to: 'E:\Temp\Test\folder2'.
> "-->sucess"
> filePlugin rename: 'C:\Temp\Test\folder2' to: 'E:\Temp\Test\folder3'.
> "-->fail"
>
> I think that is more of a design constraint that a bug.  VBscript has a
> similar problem [1]. I cloned Pharo-vm off github and in
> ".../platforms/wind32/plugins/FilePlugin/sqWin32FilePrims.c" found function
> sqFileRenameOldSizeNewSize uses win32api function MoveFileW which is
> documented [2] as "The MoveFile function will move (rename) either a file
> or a directory (including its children) either in the same directory or
> across directories. The one caveat is that the MoveFile function will fail
> on directory moves when the destination is on a different volume."
>
> Unix platforms don't encounter this since all volumes are mounted under
> one root.  (e.g. OSX mounting usb drives under /Volumes). I guess the Unix
> equivalent might be renaming to folder across network shares, though I'm
> not familiar with how different OS's handles that.

No, there is a similiar limitation on linux as well. Even if all
directories are under a common root dir, moving files across different
harddisks/partitions doesn't work:

12992 Cannot move files to another volume / partition under linux
<https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?12992>

unix/linux vm uses the system library call rename() for moving files but
this function
(http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Renaming-Files.html)
results in an error
EXDEV  'Invalid cross-device link'
if the two file names newname and oldname are on different file systems.