[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] Parsing Pharo syntax to C/C++

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Sep 16 07:56:13 UTC 2014

Hi Eliot and all!

Since I work with Ron at 3DICC and Cog is vital to us, I wanted to chime
in here.

On 09/15/2014 06:23 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> I find this whole discussion depressing.  It seems people would rather
> put their energy in chasing quick fixes or other technologies instead of
> contributing to the work that is being done in the existing VM.  People
> discuss using LLVM as if the code generation capabilities inside Cog
> were somehow poor or have no chance of competing.  Spur is around twice
> as fast as the current memory manager, has much better support for the
> FFI.  Clément and I, now with help from Ronie, are making excellent
> progress towards an adaptive optimizer/speculative inliner that will
> give us similar performance to V8 (the Google JavaScript VM, lead by
> Lars Bak, who implemented the HotSpot VM (Smalltalk and Java)) et al.

One thing you need to understand Eliot is that most of us don't have the
mind power or time to be able to contribute on that level.

But still, a lot of us are tickled by ideas on the low level - and thus
ideas like reusing LLVM, reusing some other base VM, cross compilation
etc - pop up.

Don't put too much into it - I am always toying with similar ideas in my
head for "fun", it doesn't mean we don't also see/know that *real* VM
work like Cog is the main road.

>   We are trying to get person-power for a high-quality FFI and have a
> prototype for a non-blocking VM.  When we succeed C won't be any better
> and so it won't be an interesting target.  One will be able to program
> entirely in Smalltalk and get excellent performance.  But we need
> effort.  Collaboration.

Let me just mention LuaJIT2 - besides very good performance, among other
things it sports a *very* good FFI. Well, in fact Lua in general has
several FFIs and tons of C++ bindings tools too - so IMHO anyone doing
work in that area should take a sneak peek at LuaJIT2.

And this is a truly "sore" area in Smalltalk since eternity. If we had
something as solid as the stuff in the Lua community - then Cog and
Smalltalk could go places where it haven't been before I suspect.

If we look at the codebase we have at 3DICC - a very large part consists
of complicated plugin code to external libraries and accompanying
complicated Smalltalk glue.

Also, if we compare the Lua community with the Squeak/Pharo community,
it is quite obvious that the lack of really good FFI solutions leads us
to "reinvent" stuff over and over, often poorly, while the Lua people
simply wrap high quality external libraries and that's it. Done.

Of course still also stems from the very different background and
motives behind the two languages and their respective domains, but still.

> Personally I feel so discouraged when people talk about using LLVM or
> libffi or whatever instead of having the courage and energy to make our
> system world-class.

Don't feel discouraged - its just that 99% of the community can't help
you. :) Instead we should feel blessed that we have 1 Eliot, 1 Clement,
1 Igor and 1 Ronie. Do we have more?

> I have the confidence in our abilities to compete
> with the best and am saddened that people in the community don't value
> the technology we already have and can't show faith in our abilities to
> improve it further.  Show some confidence and express support and above
> all get involved.

Let me then make sure you know that 3DICC values *all* work in Cog
*tremendously*.

As soon as you have something stable on the Linux side - we would start
trying it. Just let me know, on Linux (server) we run your upstream Cog
"as is". In fact, I should probably update what we use at the moment :)

Every bit of performance makes a big impact for us - but to be honest,
what we would value even more than performance would be ... robustness.
I mean, *really* robust. As in a freaking ROCK.

An example deployment: More than 3000 users running the client on
private laptops (all Windows variants and hw you can imagine, plus some
macs) and the server side running on a SLEW of FAT EC2 servers. We are
talking about a whole BUNCH of Cogs running 24x7 on a bunch of servers.

We experience VM blow ups on the client side, both Win32 and OSX. OSX
may be due to our current VM being built by clang, but I am not sure.
Our Win32 VM is old, we need to rebuild it ASAP. Hard to know if these
are Cog related or more likely 3DICC plugin related, but still.

But the client side is still not the "painful" part - we also experience
Linux server side Cogs going berserk (100% CPU, no response) or just
locking up or suddenly failing to resolve localhost :) etc. I suspect
the networking code in probably all these cases. Here we do NOT have
special 3DICC plugins so no, here we blame Cog or more likely, Socket
plugin. Often? No, but "sometimes" is often enough to be a big problem.
In fact, a whole new networking layer would make sense to me.

Also... we need to be able to use more RAM. We are now deploying to
cloud servers more and more - and using instances with 16Gb RAM or more
is normal. But our Cogs can't utilize it. I am not up to speed what Spur
gives us or if we in fact need to go 64 bit for that.

regards, Göran