[Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Re: Status of Pharo VM for FreeBSD

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:04:44 UTC 2015

Hi Andreas,

On Apr 3, 2015, at 4:04 AM, Andreas Wacknitz <A.Wacknitz at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 03.04.15 11:13, schrieb Esteban Lorenzano:
>>
>>> On 02 Apr 2015, at 19:20, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Andreas,
>>>
>>>     sorry to be late in replying.  This has been a busy month (I moved house).

>>> Note that this will happen (or is already happening).  Esteban is working on building the Spur version of Pharo, so he is doing this                     work.  But actually it *isn't* that much work.  There is basically a trio of new memory management files for each platform, e.g. platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixSpurMemory.c, and a new source tree for the spur vm, spursrc/vm.  The system is already set up to build multiple VMs (at least the svn tree is).
>>

>> Yes, this is already done. We are building spur VMs and images since awhile now. You can find all the related jobs here:
>>
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/4.0-VM-Spur/
> If I follow this link and what is being used there brings me to the ordinary PharoVm project on github:
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm
> There are three branches: master, develop and spur64. Which one is being used to build PharoVM-spur32?
>

>> And as Eliot says… is not *much* work… except when it is :)
>> In fact, we were planning to release Pharo 4 (next week) with a Spur VM, but we didn’t finish all the small things around. So we will release next July (or around) a Pharo 4S (S, for Spur) with “official” spur support. We do not want to stay to much time in older versions. Also, our development process is different
> This explanation irritates me: Pharo 4 will be released soon with a Spur VM? And then around summer Pharo 4S? Isn't it a contradiction?
>
>> than squeak, AFAIK… we drop backward compatibility in a regular basis. Which basically means we will move to spur and we will drop support for older versions.
> That's OK, but I am still, hmm say confused, because Eliot is changing A LOT (just look at what has been released during the last days), but PharoVM hasn't been
> changed for some days (I am following the master branch closely). So there is a rapid development in the Cog branch of the SqueakVM. The changes in the PharoVM are much slower (at least as I recognise it).

It may seem like I'm changing a lot, but I am /not/ changing the base and Spur VMs much.  I am only fixing bugs I. spur. That's because I'm stabilising the VM for the Squeak 5 release.

The changes are in two areas that are as yet unreleased.  One area is the JIT for ARM that Tim and I are working on.  The other area is Sista, the speculative inliner, that Clément and I are working on.