[Vm-dev] Some Performance Numbers: Java vs. CogVM vs. SOM

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 21:06:59 UTC 2015

Hi Stefan,

really interesting; thanks.

> Am 06.04.2015 um 22:50 schrieb Stefan Marr <smalltalk at stefan-marr.de>:
> My goal with those benchmarks is to compare how well the just-in-time compilers optimize the code.

it might seem the pure interpreter comparison adds little value then, but it's still interesting. Can you share some more insight about the characteristics of the benchmarks with the "surprising" results in interpreter-only mode?

> The problem here is that not all indexing is pure indexing. Sometimes the indexes are used as values. Getting that right is a pain. So for some benchmarks I gave up after trying to convert to 1-based indexes.

The indexing base really shouldn't matter to the compiler.

Best,

Michael