[Vm-dev] How to debug an "old" executable on a new Mac OS?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 19:00:58 UTC 2015

Hi All,

    I'm still building VMs with gcc and xcode 3.2 on 10.6.8.  We're copying
executables to Clément's 10.8 system; I *think* these executables contain
full debug info.  We're not seeing debug info under gdb on that system.
Neither are we seeing debug info when we also copy the 10.6.8 gdb to 10.8.
Anyone know why?  Some questions...

- is debug info kept off to the side and hence requires that one copy
additional files?  If so, what's the file?

- is there symbol table reading support that is version-dependent?  i.e. do
we have to install additional support executables for gdb to read the info
from gcc 4.2?

And yes, I know I should upgrade and will do asap.  For now everything
works in my 10.6 environment.
--
best,
Eliot