[Vm-dev] How to debug an "old" executable on a new Mac OS?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Tue Apr 7 19:23:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 07.04.2015, at 21:00, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     I'm still building VMs with gcc and xcode 3.2 on 10.6.8.  We're copying executables to Clément's 10.8 system; I *think* these executables contain full debug info.  We're not seeing debug info under gdb on that system.  Neither are we seeing debug info when we also copy the 10.6.8 gdb to 10.8.  Anyone know why?  Some questions...
>
> - is debug info kept off to the side and hence requires that one copy additional files?  If so, what's the file?

It depends™.
There could be a .dSYM folder that should contain debug symbol information
that can be used to instruct gdb or lldb to load infos from,
(se, eg http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3656391/whats-the-dsym-and-how-to-use-it-ios-sdk
or
	dwarfdump(1)
	dsymutil(1)
	atos(1)
	http://web.archive.org/web/20081224174716/http:/developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/symbolizingcrashdumps.html

probably

	https://github.com/nikyoudale/symbolicatecrash-mac
	http://mindarray.org/techlog/gdb-debugging.html  step 6

and even more for LLDB:
	http://lldb.llvm.org/symbols.html

> - is there symbol table reading support that is version-dependent?  i.e. do we have to install additional support executables for gdb to read the info from gcc 4.2?
>
> And yes, I know I should upgrade and will do asap.  For now everything works in my 10.6 environment.

Note that 10.6. is the last system you could reliably build ppc stuff on…
We should keep a build-slave at this version handy if we can…

Best
	-Tobias