[Vm-dev] Some Performance Numbers: Java vs. CogVM vs. SOM

Stefan Marr smalltalk at stefan-marr.de
Wed Apr 8 08:05:25 UTC 2015

Hi Levente:

> On 07 Apr 2015, at 22:57, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>
> Answering some of my own questions:

Sorry, didn’t find time earlier.

> No, the code doesn't work out of the box in Pharo. I had to change SomAll’s superclass from Object to SomBenchmarkHarness.

Ehm, I think I did not even port SomAll. That’s an empty class?

> No, SomPageRank doesn't run on Pharo either. It gets into an infinite loop, because #generateRandomPagesN:outLinks:divisor: is evaluated with n = 1, and that makes the following loop infinite:

That’s a bug in the original code. Yes. I didn’t fix it.

Not sure how you even execute the code, since I didn’t document anything… Sorry.
But, the general idea is to execute it from the command line.

From within the image, you can execute it with:
   SomBenchmarkHarness new run: { ''. 'PageRank'. '10'. '0'. ‘5' }.

On the command line it would look something like:
   $yourVM $yourImage SomBenchmarkHarness  PageRank 500 0 1

(Assuming that the Scripting package is loaded).
Sorry, am currently traveling. Will try to create a proper configuration when I am back.

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr