[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Crypto plugins for ubuntu 32-bits

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Dec 6 02:26:27 UTC 2015

On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 08:51:30PM -0500, Robert Withers wrote:

> On 12/05/2015 08:13 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> >Therefore the open issues I see for DSAPlugin are:
> >
> >1) Which repository/package should DSAPlugin be in?
> >
> >2) Why isn't the cmake build working for generating the plugin?
> >
> >Question 1) should be at the discretion of the authors/maintainers of the
> >Cryptography plugins, and 2) is probably just a glitch in the build
> >configuration.
> >
> >FWIW, my personal preference would be to use the plugins directly from the
> >Cryptography repository, deleting the DSAPlugin in VMMaker (trunk + oscog),
> >and updating configuration maps or build scripts to point to Cryptography.
>
> This is super news, Dave. Thank you for pulling these plugins into the vm.
>
> I share your opinion that the DSAPlugin stay in the Cryptography
> repository. Crypto plugins can be kept together. Since this is no change
> to the Cryptography setup, I would expect everyone to be happy with this
> proposal; I added the Cryptography team list for their input.
>
> Are you saying the CryptographyPlugins package could stay in the
> Cryptography repository and the Cryptography package and the
> CryptographyPlugins package would be automatically pulled into a VMMaker
> image? That's sweet. If Cryptography were pulled into the base image,
> there would be no need to load it, just the Plugins package. That is
> probably a separate discussion, regarding the base image.

Yes. I don't see any problem with existing CryptographyPlugins package
name, so the plugins can be pulled into a VMMaker image without needing
to load anything else from the Cryptography repository. I want to make
sure Eliot is ok with this, but it looks straightforward to me.

> I have not used CMake, I don't believe - perhaps Pharo uses it - so I
> can't add to this. It may be that someone on the Cryptography list knows
> more about this.

It's probably no big deal, I just have not looked at it yet. And it's
not an issue for Cog/Spur, which is using a different build system. But
if you could share whatever makefile or configurations you used to
successfully build the plugin on your own system, that would help.

> Another step would be writing a Reed Solomon plugin and getting it
> included, as well. This pertains to my interest in getting the whole
> SecureSession pipeline pluginized, once I get the RS encoder working.

Great :-)