[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-rmacnak.1595.mcz

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Thu Dec 17 15:15:19 UTC 2015

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 1:00 AM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Ryan Macnak <rmacnak at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > What would be more helpful is if the VM build was fixed to work with a cross compiler, so it would compile fast enough to test ARM and MIPS on Travis CI alongside IA32 and X64.
>> >
>> > It would also help if the top-of-tree Intel VMs were always kept working so we'd know which change broke something. Moving the Subversion repository to a more reliable host (which likely means migrating to Git) would also cut down on the false positives Travis reports because the Subversion server has a habit of dropping connections.
>>
>> +1 github :)

btw, Did you know that github supports subversion clients since 2011 [1]?
Here are supported features [2].  Are these sufficient for your
current svn workflows?
Potentially we could have ONE repository and those liking subversion
can stick with it and those liking git can use that.  Of course, this
would need to be proven.

[4] Provides pragmatic advice for cutting over.  Esteban appears to
have done similar to step 1 and 2 [3] - but it seem sometimes his
modifications directly update this mirror so its not clear to see when
that branch is an *exact* copy of the current svn trunk.  So I'd love
to see a github repository that is always an *exact* mirror of the svn
repository, with any pharo mods occurring in a branch off that.  Even
better if the repository for svn users resides on github in place of
that mirror.

I've been googling around for problems reported using github via an
svn client, and haven't found any smoking guns.
Is this something we can trial?  I'm willing to put some effort into
it.  A key requirement would be not interrupting Eliots work on
Spur-64.  Potentially we could stay for months on step 3 [4] with the
CI infrastructure running on the git side, but code check-ins
continuing onthe svn side.

btw2, [5] provides a use case for the advantages of a full switch.

cheers -ben

[1] https://github.com/blog/966-improved-subversion-client-support
[2] https://help.github.com/articles/support-for-subversion-clients/
[3] https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/network