[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] potential to include cryptography in base image

Robert Withers robert.w.withers at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 19:10:38 UTC 2015

On 12/15/2015 10:02 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 05:00:12AM -0500, Robert Withers wrote:
>> It was suggested to me that I write to the list and raise the question
>> about cryptography being included in the base image. Really I have 3
>> questions I would ask you all:
>>
>> 1. is it desirable to include cryptography?
>> 2. is it feasible to include cryptography?
>> 3. what is the time frame for including cryptography?
> I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to include it in the base image,
> versus maintain it in an external package that can be easily loaded
> from SqueakMap. Either way, I think we should get it updated on
> SqueakMap first so that more people can (and hopefully will) load
> it in their images, run the tests, and get experience with it. FWIW,
> I personally tend to favor maintaining packages externally in cases
> where we have an interest in supporting the package on various
> kinds of images, such as Squeak/Cuis/Pharo.
>
> Robert, are you in a position to update the SqueakMap entries? Currently
> they are "crypto", "Cryptography", and "Cryptography Team Package". They
> are all out of date, and I'm not sure who owns which version. We should
> pick one of them as the official one, and update it so that it loads the
> latest version (Cryptography-rww.49) into a Squeak 4.6 or 5.0 image.
>
> It is of course quite easy to load Cryptography directly from squeaksource,
> but there are quite a few packages in that repository that may seem confusing
> for someone loading Cryptography for the first time, so I think a one-click
> download from SqueakMap would be helpful.

Thank you for your view of these matters. I must apologize for being
forgetful about SqueakMap. I have no idea if I can login or not, it has
been years. I have requested a new passwd so shortly I will be in. Do we
want these artifacts on SqueakSource and SqueakMap?

There are a lot of other packages in Cryptography on SqueakSource. I
have cleaned up some of the packages I have in Mushroom. Some, like
Blowfish, may want to be folded into the core package. Plugins will want
to stay.

I suppose better documentation would help, some for Pharo and some for
Squeak.

I got frustrated in the course of this as I think others did, as well.
My apologies for simplifying a complex area and being to simplistic, at
times.

Regards,
Robert

--