[Vm-dev] pluginizing Galois Fields

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Dec 20 07:33:26 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 01:55:32AM -0500, Robert Withers wrote:

> On 12/19/2015 04:23 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> >
> >On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Robert Withers
> ><robert.w.withers at gmail.com <mailto:robert.w.withers at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >    This sounds like you are saying that Sista performs better or more
> >    naturally with stack-oriented bytecode. If you wouldn't mind
> >    taking the time to explore it with us, what's the difference
> >    between stack-oriented and register-based code, such that Sista
> >    would be different between them? I'm off to read some.
> >

> >I'd rather not. That's something there's lots of papers on, and I'm
> >not sure it's really important that I explain.  Yoiu can inform
> >yourself, and the Sista talks I pointed to at least mention the
> >topic.  I will say that our thesis is that we can generate efficient
> >register-based machine code from stack-oriented bytecode, and that's
> >one of the things we're trying to demonstrate with Sista.
>
> Having had a little bit of sleep, upon waking I just have to say I am
> disappointed in this response. As a seeker of knwoledge, I'm certainly
> willing to research deeply, yet that is a time investment when I also
> have a full plate. Nonetheless, the negative response to a search of
> knowledge is indicative of an attitude I often find and it is a real
> shame, a real shame for everyone. I reread what I wrote and yes, in the
> scope of an exploration, as I said, denotes a big time investment to
> dive deep. You could have said so, not a big time investment, but go
> towards more of a paragraph then a sentence in helping to feed me when I
> was hungry. A more paranoid personality that lives within me thinks it
> may have been something I personally did to garnish a more negative
> response, but I'm convinced it was the way I broached.
>
> You see how I talk myself out of being frustrated? I try to stand in
> your shoes, for a moment, without ego nor assuming the worst. It works.

Robert,

Eliot is extremely generous in his sharing of knowledge. He has
written extensively on the work that he has been doing, and he makes
those writings freely available on his blog and in these mailing lists.
He is also a busy person who is making an effort to take time to keep
us all informed and involved. Please be considerate in your requests
for additional explanations.