[Vm-dev] Re: SecureSession frame types

Robert Withers robert.w.withers at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 15:33:14 UTC 2015

Say, why not keep the multicastSymbol and the 3byte msgSpec, with 4 6bit
fields. Keep the size field at 4bytes. This is 7bytes and will fit a
64bit register with a little headroom, if it's an immediate value or
wahtever is done.

---
Free association thinking about FEC specification follows...

Lookingi nto the FEEC header it is 5 bytes, but that's too big!! Not
needed! How about 2bytes blockCount?

With RS(255,223), the current largest, and 2 bytes of blockCount, with 4
RS chunks per block, that's 1020bytes encoded per block (892bytes
data)...munch, munch, munch...67MB of FEC coded size or 58MB data per
message. This seems reasonable to restrict it to this size. If you've
more then your app better be fragmenting its communications in healthy
sized chunks...least that's how I'm thinking about it.

Alright then, lets try to fit the msgSpec and the FECSpec into 1
dedicated 64bit register, maybe no tags....rsCode values can be
restricted to 4, so 2bits. 10bits for blockCount = 1 MB FEC encoded/913
KB raw. Is that reasonable to limit it so and require higher
fragmentation?? That would be a session layer activity. Well, that's 12
bits. If we knock sanguinity back to 2 bits (FLASH, IMMEDIATE, PRIORITY,
ROUTINE), that's 32bits with a max of 1MB specified. 20bit size would do
it, leaving 12bits of tag space, perhaps the primary polynomial
coefficients could go there, with room to spare.

This means the msgSpec layout for FEX enabled comms is different than
for all other messages not error correction encoded.

---Default non-FEC msgSpec + header + payload layout:

- 6bits multicastSymbol
- 2bits sanguinity
- 6bits messageVersion
- 6bits headerType "NOTE: except for FEC encodings"
- 4bytes messageSize
- Xbytes header
-
- (messageSized - headerSize - 7specBytes) Bytes-sized payload

Special FEC coded 64bit <msgSpec + header> + payload layout, for 64bit
alignment:

- (32bits...)
- 6bits multicastSymbol
- 2bits sanguinity
- 6bits messageVersion
- 6bits FEC message type "NOTE: this means different layout"
- 2bits rsMode
- (32bits...)
- 10bits blockCount           "NOTE: for 1MB encoded/982KB data"
- 20bits messageSize        "NOTE: this can specify 1MB data plus
- 8bits primitivePolynomial spec (good for our current rsModes)
- 4bits tagging
-
- (messageSized - headerSize - 4specBytes) OR (blockCount * rsMode's
blockCodeBytes) Bytes-sized payload

Is this complexity desired, I would ask you? If it is, is this the right
layout?

thank you,
robert

--