[Vm-dev] boid implementation on roarvm

Stefan Marr smalltalk at stefan-marr.de
Tue Dec 29 10:03:33 UTC 2015

Hi:

> On 29 Dec 2015, at 08:17, clin4j at tutanota.de wrote:
>
> I read that the discussion related to RoarVM[1] is here. I do not have any experiences about small talk, squeak vm, etc. After reading RoarVM github[2], its main website[3] and slide[4], it doesn't mention how to use RoarVM. I thought that was passing the source like [4], but from the output
>
> Usage: rvm ... <snapshot-file-name.image>
>
> It looks like I am wrong. So I would like to know if any documents tell how to use ram and some simple tutorial?

The very basics are documented here: http://stefan-marr.de/renaissance/#get-started
The last line of section “Building the RoarVM form Source Code” also starts the VM.

My guess is that the confusion comes from Smalltalk using an image that contains the source code.
You seem to try to pass the code file directly to the VM, which unfortunately won’t work.
The VM first needs the image, which contains the whole system to be run.

Hope this helps
Stefan