[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] compiled squeakjs

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 01:05:39 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Ryan Macnak <rmacnak at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I do feel extremely frustrated that no one is taking the obvious route of
>> making a plugin to allow the Cog VM to be used directly, gaining much
>> higher performance and reducing the number of execution platforms we have
>> to support.
>

> I thought there were already a few projects that attached a Squeak VM to
> NaCl.

As I understand it, running under NaCl requires reworking the JIT and has
real problems doing the self-modifying code involved in inline caches,
etc.  I want something that doesn't involve running under a managed
run-time (the VM is a managed run-time, layering two on top of each other
has always seemed like a poor choice to me).  And if NaCl made it really
easy to do why haven't any of these projects delivered yet?

--
best,
Eliot