[Vm-dev] AndreasSystemProfiler primitives (was: The Inbox: System-mt.697.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 28 04:11:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 07:43:27PM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 7:15 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 04:14:24PM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> >
> > Was Andreas' profiler fully functional on an Interpreter generated from oscog
> > at one point? I know that Andreas had done at least an initial implementation
> > in that part of the code. I had assumed that his main focus in that time frame
> > would have been on Cog, so I was not entirely sure if the Interpreter
> > implementation was complete.
> >

> When I joined Qwaq, Andreas' fork of VMMaker and svn trunk was the VM in
> use.  The Interpreter contained all of the support for  Andreas' profiler.
> That VMMaker was my starting point for Cog and I simply supported in the
> Stack and Cog VMs what was in the Interpreter.
>
> There was much else in there too; support for a high-priority
> media=-processing thread which was used for Qwaq's voice channel;
> extensions to the host window plugin etc, etc.  This had to continue
> working as the VM was sped-up using first the Stack VM and then Cog.  I
> guess the Qwaq VM forked from trunk in about 2005.

Thanks Eliot,

That probably sounded like a dumb question, but I actually was not sure
if I was looking at a complete and functional implemention, or just a
rough draft. Obviously it would have made more sense for me to have asked
the question a year or so ago.

I can't look into it further now, but the issue remains documented on
Mantis at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7746 so hopefully either
I or some other motivated person will follow through on it in the not
too distant future.

Dave