[Vm-dev] ARM Cog progress

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Jun 7 15:58:19 UTC 2015

On 07-06-2015, at 12:32 AM, Holger Freyther <holger at freyther.de> wrote:
>> On 07 Jun 2015, at 01:25, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>>

>> GCC is such fun.
>
> given the amount of warnings emitted during compilation, have you considered
> that it might be the input given to gcc that is the issue here? ;)

I dunno; I get a total of 59 warnings when compiling the ARM Cog VM, none in the core vm code. I’d love to see it be 0. I rather suspect the world would come to an end if that happened.

On the other hand, I can’t see how it is acceptable for a compiler to produce code that blows up at one level of optimisation but not at another. Come to that I’m not sure why there are different levels; I can sort of see asking to optimise in different ways  - the NorCroft compiler for ARM can be asked to optimise for runtime speed or executable size, for example.

tim
In /dev/null no one can hear you scream