[Vm-dev] ARM Cog progress

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Sun Jun 7 18:51:58 UTC 2015

> On 07 Jun 2015, at 20:24, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Holger,

Dear Eliot,

> given the amount of warnings emitted during compilation, have you considered
> that it might be the input given to gcc that is the issue here? ;)
>

> You're very welcome to make changes to plugins to reduce warnings.  I'm focussed on the core VM, and as Tim has said there are almost no warnings from that code.  There is one warning from the Cogit that is inappropriate and I refuse to waste the code that would avoid it, and there are, I think, 8 warnings from the 32-bit Stack/CoInterpreter which are in integer conversion code which is conditionally compiled code not used in 32-bits.  So in the code I have responsibility for I have eliminated all but the minimum of warnings.  I am not the author of the plugins and don't presume to understand them all well enough to fix them.  I would appreciate your help, rather than your criticism.

Tim is in the believe that the C compiler is wrong. From my experience in most
cases (yes, I have seen miscompilation on ARM as well) it is the compiler. The
right way is to understand what is actually wrong and then point fingers. This is
why I challenged Tim.

In terms of compiler warnings. It is great that you have improved the situation
and I very much appreciate it as a user of the VM.

holger