[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Trying to understand thisContext

matthias.springer me at matthiasspringer.de
Tue Jun 9 15:40:41 UTC 2015

Hi Eliot,

OK, so "thisContext basicSize" should return the value of the stack pointer.
Thank you for the explanation. I think I got it working now and have a
better understanding of how thisContext works.

What I am still wondering is how "ContextPart>>stackPtr" works and what its
purpose is (why not just call the primitive). The method comment says that
it should only be used in the inspector etc.

Also, interestingly, I ran the previously mentioned code in the same image
(Squeak 4.5 or so...) but with different underlying VMs, so the bytecode is
actually the same; still the VMs behave differently. I was expecting that
"thisContext" behaves the same on all VMs, but that does not seem to be the
case.

Still need to look into the Spur bootstrapping...

Best,
Matthias