[Vm-dev] how slower is called a named primitive over a numbered primitive?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jun 23 23:43:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 09:33:44PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 23.06.2015, at 18:23, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think this is an inlined apples vs oranges comparison :).  To be that fast surely the JS VM has optimized away the numbered primitive send entirely, leaving only the named primitive send, so this isn't the difference between the two at all.
>
> Haha, no. I removed two zeroes from the iteration count ;)

Aha, so this performance optimization stuff is not so hard after all. All
we have to do is get rid of the extraneous zeros and everything just goes
faster.

I never really understood why we needed all those zeros in the first place.
If we just keep getting rid of them, there is no limit to the potential
performance improvements!