[Vm-dev] GdbARMPlugin & processors/ARM/gdb-7.6 changes

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Mar 22 14:54:00 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 07:28:22PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 6:40 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 02:09:16PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> > >
> > > Just in case anyone is watching and feels like heroically cleaning up a
> > load of code; the madly hacked about gdb source tree with everything
> > removed that I could summon the enthusiasm for deleting and that doesn?t
> > seem to be needed  is now in our svn tree.
> > > I also cleaned up the arm sim code etc a little so that we no longer
> > need a rather arcane gcc trick of wrapping functions.
> > >

> > The gdb-7.6 sources are GPL licensed (not LGPL). You will want to ensure
> > that they do not start appearing in source code distributions for Cog/Spur.
> >

> The reasoning has been that since the plugins are used for developing the
> VM, and are stand alone DLLs, not for deploying the system, that we are
> safe.  But are you suggesting that for clarity the gdb code should not be
> included, but downloaded from elsewhere?  That seems a little pointless to
> me, but my arm can be twisted.

It is probably fine, given that the gdb code is separate from the platforms
and src trees. We just have to be careful that someone does not accidentally
include it in a Linux source distribution, or perhaps accidentally include
the plugin as an internal plugin, or something of that nature.

I am not an expert in this area, I just know that GPL can be invasive so
I wanted to mention it as a caution.