[Vm-dev] updating and compiling the BerkeleyDB plugin

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Mar 29 22:03:03 UTC 2015

I am assuming that this is "Berkeley DB Plugin" on SqueakMap, written by Stephen Pair
and licensed SqueakL, and therefore OK to include in the VM.

The SAR file contains the platforms sources and some hints as to handle it
in a makefile.

I expect that this plugin could be brought back to life with a bit of effort.
It also looks like something that might best be maintained outside of VMMaker
so that the interested parties can update it as they please.

How about if we put the Smalltalk part of the plugin into a new project on
squeaksource.com? Paul DeBruicker, Stephen Pair, Eliot and I all have accounts
on that server already, so it would be easy to put it there.

The Berkeley db library has a lot of history, and I don't know what the current
runtimes would be on a modern unix/linux/osx platform. The http://www.sleepycat.com
site redirects to Oracle now, which does not seem encouraging. Current licensing
seems to be explained at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_DB.

Dave