[Vm-dev] Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-tfel.360.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 00:18:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 1:45 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> > No reason other than that I wasn't sure if there is a protocol on how to
> > do
> > it. Do you just copy'n'paste methods over? Or is there any actual
> > branching
> > going on? If so, what should I do to keep the history intact?
> >

> There are two active branches of the VMMaker project. Most of the new
> development, led by Eliot, is happening in the Cog/Spur branch. In the
> VMMaker repository, this is identified by "VMMaker.oscog" Associated with
> this is the Cog branch of the platform sources, which is in Subversion
> (see http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/branches/Cog/).
>
> In addition to the Cog/Spur development, we continue to maintain the trunk
> branch of VMMaker. This is identified as "VMMaker" (as opposed to
> "VMMaker.oscog" in the repository, and the corresponding Subversion
> platform sources are called "trunk" (see
> http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/)
>
> Wherever possible and practical, we try to keep these branches in sync.
> The changes that you are making here are almost certainly something that
> we would want to have applied to both.

+1.

So just copy and paste methods.  One way is to take a diff between the two
versions of VMMaker that encompass the changes you want to move, use file
out to file out all the methods, effectively generating a change set, then
use the ChangeList to merge that change set into an image containing
VMMaker.oscog, then publish VMMaker.oscog, copying commit comments from the
relevant VMMaker version(s).

Eventually we may get to merge VMMaker into VMMaker.oscog or vice verse,
but right now no one has the time.

And thanks!!
--
best,