[Vm-dev] implementing atomic operator

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 5 04:10:48 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 07:34:19PM -0300, Sebasti??n Krynski wrote:

> Hello, as I mentioned before I'm starting to implement an atomic operator
> (a swap between two variables).
> I have compiled the StackVM (at least to get started) in Ubuntu 32bits.
> A few questions:
>
> - Should I be working on generation.image while doing the implementation?
> If so, should I be running the simulated VM running another image while
> doing my tests?
> - Do you think it is possible to implement the operations in Slang or using
>  #cCode:inSmalltalk:? Otherwise I will need to do it in assembler and
> inline it

Hi Sebasti??n,

If you can write it in C, then you can probably write it in Smalltalk
(slang). Do not use #cCode:inSmalltalk: unless there is some specific
reason that it cannot be expressed in Smalltalk.

If you are not sure if it needs to be written in assembler, then it
does not need to be written in assembler.

So - write it in slang unless there is some specific reason to do otherwise.

$0.02,