[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-eem.1522.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Nov 19 15:24:09 UTC 2015

> On 19.11.2015, at 16:19, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks Bert, and Eliot for your detailed response, that clarified a lot.
>
> I am now clear that the Intepreters do process Bytecodes not Slang.
>
> But just checking... I always thought of Slang as just the
> subset-language, yet from "the thing that does the Smalltalk to C
> translation is called Slang" it seems like Slang is also the program
> that generates the C code (?).

No, I did not write that. Slang is just the language. Translation is done by VMMaker.

> So the VM-Slang code can be used in two ways:
> 1. Generated to C code (which process is it that does this?)
> 2. Used with the VM simulator. Now does the VM-slang run "on top" of
> the VM Simulator (i.e. the VM-Simulator interprets Slang), or (I think
> this more likely) does the VM-Slang run directly in an Image on a
> standard VM with the VM-Simulator beside it in the image providing
> support methods?

Slang runs directly in an image on the standard VM. You can use a regular Squeak debugger on it. The VM simulator just provides the right environment (memory / events / helper objects and routines) for that code to run.

- Bert -