[Vm-dev] Pre-Spur -> Spur transition

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 12:01:29 UTC 2015

Hi Ken,

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
> On Nov 22, 2015, at 6:43 PM, KenD <Ken.Dickey at Whidbey.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings,

welcome!

> I though to take a look at transitioning a Cuis image into Spur format.

Great!

> I presume there is a Smalltalk package which either runs in an old VM and writes the active image into the Spur format or code for a Spur image which reads the old format.

Yes, the Sour bootstrap is in the Cog package which is where I put support code for the VMMaker.oscog package, which is where the Cog VM lives.

> [1] Where would I locate this code?

There are scripts to build a Cog VMMaker image and to run the Squeak 4.5 to Spur conversions in http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image.  See http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/build-image/

You'll want to redefine the GetGoodVM.sh or GetGoodSpurVM.sh scripts to run the relevant VM (if I recall the names correctly).

> [2] Is there a Non-Cog Spur VM available?  [Chromebook currently does page protect to disallow JIT]

Yes.  In http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/spurstacksrc is a non-Cog Spur VM and there are pre-configured builds for it in eg http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/build.linux32x86/squeak.stack.spur

Note that VMMaker.oscog /should/ load and run in non-Spur squeak but I've not tried this for over a year now.

> Thanks much,
> -KenD

Perhaps some time we can discuss what's necessary to get Cog VMs running on Chromebooks.  Is it a matter of doing the entry into machine code appropriately or is there a deal breaker or...?