[Vm-dev] Pre-Spur -> Spur transition

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 18:50:09 UTC 2015

Hi Ken,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 9:16 PM, KenD <Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com> wrote:

> Eliot,
>
> I have gotten a bit lost, but getting closer.
>
> I am now able to run Squeak 5.0 on my ARM Chromebook via:
>
>   stkspurlinuxhtARM-15.24.3386.tgz
>
> In Cog/image I loaded a Squeak5.0.image with
>   BuildSqueakSpurTrunkVMMakerImage.st
>   LoadReader.st
>   StartReader.st

Oops, the image building scripts are in image/old.  I forgot that now that
Squeak 5.0 is released I'd cleaned up the scripts and left only ones to
create 64-bit images.  Forgive me.  So....

0. cd to the image directory
1. build a VMMaker.oscog image via
$ buildsqueaktrunkvmmakerimage.sh

2. get that image to convert a Cuis image by adapting
old/BuildSpurTrunkImage.st
| pwd |
Utilities authorInitialsPerSe isEmpty ifTrue:
        [Utilities setAuthorInitials: 'autoboot'].
pwd := FileDirectory default fullName.
SpurBootstrap bootstrapSqueakImage: pwd, '/', 'trunk46forspur'.
SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher new
        from: 'temp-v3-repository' to: 'temp-spur-repository';
        patch.
Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: true

I suggest you start-up that image and explore the bootstrap.  There are two
parts:

        SpurBootstrap bootstrapSqueakImage: pwd, '/', 'cuis'

will try to produce a cuis-spur.image and cuis-spur.changes from cuis.image
& cuis.changes.  But the modified methods won't contain source; they'll be
decompiled.

SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher new
        from: 'temp-v3-repository' to: 'temp-spur-repository';
        patch.

will try and patch the Collections, Compiler, Kernel & System packages in
the first repository into new versions with the modified source in the
second repository.  One can then load these packages in the cuis-spur.image
to get the correct source.

Over time I modified the bootstrap so that there was an automated patching
process.  We can set something up for Cuis later on.  First concentrate on
getting bootstrapSqueakImage: to produce an image that starts up.  Then
concentrate on SpurBootstrapMonticelloPackagePatcher to get patched
packages that can be loaded into cuis-spur.image, and then you can think
about the release process and making the transition.

And if you have an urgent question I'm on Skype at eliotmiranda.

> I then save & restart the image with the equivalent of
>   squeak reader.image <Cuis4.2.image >Cuis5.0.image
>
> But get a zero length Cuis5.0.image result.
>
> As the reader.image quits immediately, I did not get to see what the code
> should be doing.
>
> A usage hint would be helpful here.
>
> Thanks much,
> -KenD