[Vm-dev] [commit][3467] Fork the linux builds in makeallclean.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Oct 4 13:31:28 UTC 2015

On Sat, Oct 03, 2015 at 09:36:42PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 03-10-2015, at 5:50 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> > Uhmmm ... There is no such thing as a "UNIX console". Multiple processes writing
> > to a shared output stream will result in intermixed output, which is confusing.
> >
> > So don't do that. Unless you are compiling on a Raspberry Pi ;-)
>
> What I???ve found works ok most of the time is reading the log file that is produced and simply searching for ???error???. There are a few places where it should be found since there is actually a file called Error.c (might be nice to rename it to save a little time here) and as long as I find no lines outside that range I can reasonably expect to find a compiled vm at the end. Other than that C error messages are so damn confusing that having the mingled up really doesn???t make much difference...

Another handy technique (although it will not address the issue of
interleaved output) is to run the build using the nohup command.

If you normally do this:

$ ./mvm

Then you can do this instead:

$ nohup ./mvm&

This runs the build in the background, with both stdout and stderr
directed to a file called 'nohup.out'.

You can watch the progress of the build like this:

$ tail -f nohup.out

And you can review the output to find errors and compiler warnings
like this:

$ less nohup.out