[Vm-dev] FilePlugin can't delete files with 0444 permission on Windows

Nicolai Hess nicolaihess at web.de
Tue Oct 13 10:31:23 UTC 2015

> Hi.
>
> Git creates it’s object files (the object database files) with permission
> 0444 (i.e. no write permissions). On OS X and Linux the VM is happy to
> delete those files but on Windows 7 the FilePlugin fails with a
> #primitiveFailed:.
>
> Before I dive into the code and start fixing stuff I wanted to know if
> this is a known issue / unfixable problem.

Yes, I saw this already when working with git directories for the long path
issue.
On windows, we'll have to remove a readonly  attribute if we want to delete
read-only files.

Don't know how to fix this, silently in the vm if the plugin failed? Or
return with an appropriate return code and
give the image a chance to ask the user and then call the delete method
again with a flag "do-delete-readonly-files"
Or add a method to the plugin, to change the attributes and change add code
in the image to provide a method that changes
readonly flags for all entries prior to calling deleteAll?