[Vm-dev] re: "callback failed to own the VM"

Robert Withers robert.w.withers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 23:49:46 UTC 2015

Good evening,

I hope you don't view my comments as a bother on this topic, yet I had
just told Craig I didn't think I needed this so...  Well, my interest
was gettting NIO to work, so it's industrial on that networking side of
the house. NIO isn't hot with large amounts of data but with large
numbers of connections it excels.

It has been my firm belief over 21 years of Smalltalking, perhaps not
actively, that Smalltalk was made for the server. With the right
programming idioms, large numbers of smaller slower machines has the
potential and capacity to outperform the large. Truthfully, I think
programming in swarms is cool. NIO is a server solution.

Ok, let me take a haircut, here: NIO is a blocking callout - no
callbacks, but since it is blocking, I realized today that the select
callout would block the VM.

64-bit is so cool, in my view because of the increased usage of
immediates...also an idea I shared that we could have 2 32-bit
hyperthreads; totally cool. But this is a capacity problem being solved,
isn't it? What capability does it offer us that we currently do not have?

The Threaded VM, on the other hand, provides definite feature additions:
1) real event image without so many monitor processes, 2) callbacks and
blocking callouts, 3) multiple images on separate OS threads with shared
memory. There may be others and negatives I don't know about.

Thanks for listening,
Robert