[Vm-dev] Alien on Spur and "el capitan"?

John McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Oct 20 20:59:09 UTC 2015

Ok, you know you are using maybeInlinePositive32BitIntegerFor for BOTH
unsigned and signed integers? That to me rings alarm bells, so do you
need maybeInlinePositive32BitIntegerForSignedInteger
or maybeInlinePositive32BitIntegerForUnSignedInteger  or always cast the
incoming value to an unsigned integer, or is it signed? If so are you sure
you understand the math involved and the possible input values?

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone tested Alien on Spur and "El capitan"? specifically callbacks?
> For me, a completely broken :(
>
> 1) this structure (in maybeInlinePositive32BitIntegerFor: and others):
>
> (integerValue >= 0
> and: [objectMemory isIntegerValue: integerValue]) ifTrue:
> [^objectMemory integerObjectOf: integerValue].
>
> Does not works if “integer value” is an unsigned long, because compiler
> assumes it will always be true, then remove the if, then answers a wrong
> value.
>
> 2) assertCStackWellAligned always fail. No idea why because if does not
> says anything, just jmp back to the regular flow.
>
> 3) finally, ceCaptureCStackPointers also fails… this can be because (2)
> or because other reasons (it also jmps back so no clue) (method
> generateCaptureCStackPointers: clarifies is a hack, so I suppose it stopped
> to work).
>
> I guess solution of (1) is easy: argument number just has to be a sqLong
> instead an unsigned long.
>
> But for 2 and 3 I have no idea where to start.
>
> Does anyone has an idea?
>
> Esteban

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd
https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk