[Vm-dev] image install of ubuntu 64-bit has an issue

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Oct 22 02:45:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 07:33:51PM -0400, Robert Withers wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> This page mentions that a 32-bit platform arch VM can be built that runs
> 64-bit images. How could I build one of these 32-bit platform, 64-bit
> image VMs? I would like to build one very much.
>
> Thank you,
> Robert

To be clear, this refers to the traditional interpreter VM, which can be
used for Squeak images through Squeak 4.6, but cannot be used for the new
Spur image format that we are using for Squeak 5.0 and for new development
in Squeak trunk.

That said, the instructions for building a VM are here:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2015-April/018259.html

This will give you at matched set of VMs that can run 32 or 64 bit images
on your 32 bit host platform.

A reasonably recent Squeak image traced to a 64-bit object format is here:

  http://build.squeak.org/job/Squeak%2064-bit%20image/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/

I confess that I have not actually tried this on a 32-bit platform in the
last several years, but hopefully it still works. Let me know if it does not.

HTH,
Dave