[Vm-dev] image install of ubuntu 64-bit has an issue

Robert Withers robert.w.withers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 02:55:24 UTC 2015

On 10/21/2015 10:45 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> To be clear, this refers to the traditional interpreter VM, which can be
> used for Squeak images through Squeak 4.6, but cannot be used for the new
> Spur image format that we are using for Squeak 5.0 and for new development
> in Squeak trunk.
>
> That said, the instructions for building a VM are here:
>
>    http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2015-April/018259.html
>
> This will give you at matched set of VMs that can run 32 or 64 bit images
> on your 32 bit host platform.
>
> A reasonably recent Squeak image traced to a 64-bit object format is here:
>
>    http://build.squeak.org/job/Squeak%2064-bit%20image/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/
>
> I confess that I have not actually tried this on a 32-bit platform in the
> last several years, but hopefully it still works. Let me know if it does not.

Thanks for the information, Dave.  Do I understand that this image is a
64-bit, Squeak 4.6 image?

I was thinking spurstack64src was a way to build a 32-bit binary, 64-bit
host VM. I generated from the SpurVMMaker image and built another target
under build.linux32x86. It blew up compiling gcc3x-interp.c:

/home/rabbit/warren/oscogvm/spurstack64src/vm/gcc3x-interp.c:9661:1:
internal compiler error: in assign_by_spills, at lra-assigns.c:1281
  }

So from what you've said here, I'm not doing the right thing trying to
compile this am I?

...  ^^
Robert