[Vm-dev] unix nameToAddr() function appears to not work on Raspbian?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Sep 17 16:37:11 UTC 2015

Thanks Dave,

On 16-09-2015, at 7:55 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> Tobias fixed a test that was failing due to this issue:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2015-September/185892.html
>
> And he provided a link to some Debian documentation that explains why it
> works that way on Debian based systems:
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_hostname_resolution

Ah, right. Some words in that actually make sense to me, just not the gestalt. But happily I don’t have to care too much :-) Since it’s Debian (and therefore Raspbian) setup related and not me-making-mistake, it gets wrapped in a nice thick SEP field.

> One small but important point - there is no such thing as an "actual machine IP"
> on your Pi.

With enough of the appropriate memory enhancing drugs I would probably have remembered that, having run into similar stuff before, I think with a machine that had multiple ethernet cards.

tim
In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble.