[Vm-dev] Re: Too many full GCs in Cog/Spur ... while just drawing GUI ...

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Thu Apr 7 22:34:50 UTC 2016

No, it's not a difference between platforms.
With fewer opened windows the number of garbage collections increases.
This is because rendering will happen more often. When the VM runs out of
memory primitive 71 in #basicNew: will fail and it'll send
#handleFailingBasicNew:. That method will retry primitive 71, which will
fail again, and then it'll do a full gc to make room for the new object.
Only when it's not possible to make room for the new object by collecting
the garbage will the VM allocate more memory.
Forcing the VM to allocate more memory, by tweaking parameter 25, will
decrease the number of GCs, though I wasn't able to get it down to 0,
because the code became way too snappy and it quickly reached the new
memory limit.

Levente