[Vm-dev] Re: primitiveDigitCompare is slow (was: Re: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-dtl.1015.mcz)

timfelgentreff timfelgentreff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 13:22:03 UTC 2016

Hi,

RSqueakVM is a research Squeak VM written in RPython, with a tracing JIT
compiler supporting x86 32 and 64bit, armv6, armv7, and powerpc (although we
have deactivated non-x86-32 builds in the CI right now, because it takes
forever to run through qemu-chroot and nobody has time to work on these
platforms right now).

RSqueak supports all image formats starting with Squeak 2 all the way up to
current trunk. So you can have a jitted mini image, if you find a filein
with the Bitblt code in Smalltalk, because we don't have the bitblt plugin
;)

The JIT is fast enough to omit almost all non-essential primitives, and
simulate many primitives (like Balloon and BitBlt) by running the Slang code
instead of a plugin. In fact, we don't have large integer, misc, bitblt, or
balloon plugins, instead relying on the fallback and vmmaker code to make
execution fast. For many cases this works quite well, although warmup still
is a big issue for us (the framerate of the image keeps steadily climbing
for the first few *minutes* that you use it - there is just a lot of stuff
that needs to be jitted for bitblt, balloon, and fontrendering to get fast).

We are currently preparing an alpha release as a one-click bundle for people
to try it out.

Development is currently here: https://github.com/HPI-SWA-Lab/RSqueak.
Binaries are built on each commit automatically, but you also need SDL2 and
a current image with VMMaker (we need a number of fixes in vmmaker and the
fallback code - so older images need these fixes somehow filed in, too -
we're also preparing changesets for those)

philippeback wrote