[Vm-dev] svn git bridge? (was: Spur corrupts large images when saving)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 23 15:10:25 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 02:22:29PM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> > On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Actually, Fabio did a complete migration while squeakvm.org was out.
> >> This had a full history of all SVN commits.
> >>
> >> ???Unfortunately??? Ian fixed the server too soon so development continued on
> >> SVN, so now the git repo is again out-of-date.
> >>
> >> We would need to freeze the SVN, do the migration again, and use git from
> >> that point on. It would involve a day of downtime, but doing this sooner
> >> than later would be a good thing.
> >>

> doesn't gitsvn help?

I have to admit that I did not even know that an active git svn bridge
was possible. It sounds like this it might be very helpful.

It would be great to have the advantages of git for development, and
it could also be helpful to be able to have the squeakvm.org repo updated
periodically from git. There are portions of the platforms tree that Eliot
has been able to make identical for oscog and trunk, and this seems like
a worthwhile effort to continue.

Another possible advantage is that Ian's cmake build process takes advantage
of the SVN revision numbering, and it would be good to make sure this stays
healthy as development proceeds (it's a lot nicer than autotools).

Eliot, do you have a view on this?