[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-eem.1851.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Apr 29 16:18:08 UTC 2016

> On 29-04-2016, at 5:31 AM, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>
> In 1851 a population census is taken in the United Kingdom. The population reaches 21 million. 6.3 million live in cities of 20,000 or more in England and Wales and cities of 20,000 or more account for 35% of the total English population.  The first protected submarine telegraph cable is laid, across the English Channel. The Chilean Revolution ends after the rebel defeat at the Battle of Loncomilla.

Even more interesting is the Great Exhibition of 1851; amongst other things, the Royal Commission to run it was set up without a termination clause and thus continues to exist to this day. The monies it gathered have been used to finance significant things like parts of the Imperial College and the Royal College of Art  - and indeed my attendance at both.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- AMICUS PURIAE - Platonic friend