[Vm-dev] Stack and Cog v3 VMs for ARMv7?

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 20:27:03 UTC 2016

I'm trying to build VMs inside an ARM qemu image running on Debian 8
armhf for oscogvm #3686 and have a couple of questions/issues.

The first thing I ran into when building
build.linux32ARM/squeak.stack.v3/build was that gcc is hard-coded to
generate armv6 in the mvm script.  Is this because the intention is to
ensure that the resulting build works on the original Raspberry Pi or
are there known issues with other architectures?  I want (and for the
particular ARM image I am building in, need) armv7.  When I change to
-march=armv7-a the VM builds without errors.  But when I run it on my
rpi2 the VM begins to startup (i.e. a window is created but never has a
chance to redraw) and then segfaults with a Smalltalk stack trace.
(this occurs both with a Cuis as well as Squeak 4.6 images)  Is this a
known problem?

The next item is that there are no build.linux32ARM/squeak.cog.v3/*
build targets.  Is this a supported configuration?

Thanks,
Phil