[Vm-dev] Pi vm builds need a priority checker applet

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Aug 18 01:05:07 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 05:43:04PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 17-08-2016, at 4:42 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >

> > It would be good if we could figure out the reason that you need to use
> > sudo when running with xrdp. Running Squeak with root privileges is a
> > Very Bad Idea, and we certainly should not be encouraging kids to do that.
> > Hopefully there is a way to convince xrdp to behave properly without the sudo.
>
> I wish - and if anyone can work out wtf is happening a lot of other people will likely be happy too. It???s not a new thing so far as I can see.
>

> > Unfortunately I don't have a Pi readily at hand to help right now. Can you
> > say anything about what error messages or symptoms that you see when you
> > run under xrdp without the "sudo -E"? Is it related to the privileges for
> > the heartbeat thread priority?
>
> It appears to be the heartbeat stuff. Something in the various bits of code that are used by xrdp gets upset by it even though the basic system is fine with it.
> There???s a fairly long explanation I put up on stackoverflow to see if the unix gurus there might know, but so far there hasn???t even been an attempt at an answer.
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38384606/how-to-avoid-using-sudo-for-certain-programs-under-xrdp-in-raspbian

Ah, ok, your summary on SO covers it very well.

Is there a specific error message that you see when you run without the sudo?
For example, if you connect to the Pi display with xrdp, then run Squeak from
a terminal window, then I expect that you would see an error message in the
console window indicating that the pthread priority could not be set. And then
if you ran Squeak with sudo, there there would be no error. Is that right?