[Vm-dev] OpenSmalltalk VM on Gentoo Linux

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri Dec 9 01:39:37 UTC 2016

Hi Samuel, Sorry for the late reply.  I was just reviewing my Spam folder
and found you email stuck there.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Samuel Hodgkins <
samuel.hodgkins at sky.com> wrote:

> So, I've recently moved to Gentoo Linux and want to run the Squeak VM.
> Unfortunately, there's no ebuild or package for the OpenSmalltalk VM (There
> is one for 'classic' VM though).
> As such, does anyone have a list of the dependencies so that I can install
> them? (or if someone has written a ebuild/package for VM.)

I'm not aware of an ebuild.

I presume you've got a 64-bit Gentoo install, and the default release VM is
32-bit.
Pharo & Squeak use the same VM (although Pharo depends on a few more
external libs)
and has some instructions for other distributions here.
http://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation

But 64-bit is getting close
http://forum.world.st/Breaking-the-4GB-barrier-with-Pharo-6-64-bit-td4922305.html

Or you might try Squeak's experimental 64-bit...
http://squeak.org/downloads/

You can also use 'ldd' to determine the dependencies.
http://linux.byexamples.com/archives/409/how-to-list-shared-library-dependencies-used-by-an-application/

(maybe after I get it working I'll learn how to write an ebuild and do
> that.)

Easing installation on another platform would be cool. Here are your
sources...
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm

cheers -ben