[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] managing the transition to 64-bit

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 01:25:53 UTC 2016

Hi Chris,

> On Dec 12, 2016, at 3:43 PM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 3:34 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm saying that the traditional way of installing a global VM, by installing under /usr/local, cannot support dual 32 and 64-bit installation because the directory name under "lib" is exactly the same for both platforms.
>>
>> Installing from cog_linux32x86_squeak.cog.spur_201608171728.tar.gz:
>>
>>    /./products/cogspurlinuxht/lib/squeak/5.0-201608171728/squeak  "32-bit"
>>
>> and from cog_linux64x64_squeak.cog.spur_201608171728.tar.gz:
>>
>>   /./products/cogspur64linuxht/lib/squeak/5.0-201608171728/squeak  "64-bit!"
>>
>> copying from the highlighted, down, to the traditional /usr/local location makes that conflict.

I like any of the following:
    /usr/local/squeak/{lib,lib64}/squeak/5.x-20yymmddhhmm/

    /usr/local/squeak/{lib32,lib}/squeak/5.x-20yymmddhhmm/

    /usr/local/squeak/{lib32,lib64}/squeak/5.x-20yymmddhhmm/

and then have /usr/local/squeak/squeak & /usr/local/squeak/bin/squeak determine which lib dir to use based on e.g. the od program, or possibly hexdump.

Does this make sense?