[Vm-dev] @Ben getting up and running quickly with Cog/Spur and CMakeVMMakerSqueak

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Jan 12 14:34:27 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:07 PM, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> On linux, Eliot's new build scripts do most of the work. The only task after they run is to install the packages via monticello.
> Here is the terse version on linux to get you (mostly) up and running from zero.
>

>  svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog
> cd Cog/image
> cat README
> ./ buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh
> ./ cogspurlinuxht/squeak  SpurVMMaker.image  &
> Monticello browser
> Repository http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker
> CMakeVMMaker (latest) load
> CMakeVMMakerSqueak (latest) load
> HelpBrowser topic CMakeVMMakerSqueak
>

> That gets tools installed. and you viewing documentation as it stands. (after being away for 1 year and viewing it,  I found it most un-helpful )
>
> There is still configuration for putting the Cog source tree relative to the image that I will pass along after I have done it a few times using Eliot's scripts.
> expect that tomorrow.
>

> I am planning on massive refactoring and simplification of the thing. The attempt to maintain pharo (backwards) compatibility has lead to design overload and code bloat.

I must admit part of my interest is improving vm build level
compatibility between Squeak and Pharo, to help make use of each
community's limited vm resources, and I'm wary that divergent build
systems encourages a divergent code base.  But you know... :) the
thing with Pharo is you don't necessarily need to worry about backward
compatibility.  Its philosophy is to move forward.  I've not yet any
particular investment in the Pharo build system.  I'd be interested to
discover where you seebloat and maybe I can advocate for changes on
the Pharo side.

cheers -ben