[Vm-dev] Is it possible to suspend the garbage collector?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 13 00:22:19 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 10:23:25AM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 12-01-2016, at 8:39 AM, Max Leske <maxleske at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Why do I see this behaviour? In Cog I see the expected outcome (free space big, young space small) even without triggering an incremental GC manually.
>
> Not sure about details but do remember that Spur uses a fairly different object space arrangement, so if that???s what you???e using John???s advice may no longer be very relevant.
>

> > 2. There???s also still the question about where those 500ms disappear to (see last e-mail), which are unaccounted for in the MessageTally output.
>
> The tally code has never been particularly good at handling long running primitives. I *think* there is better profiling code somewhere that Andreas developed for Qwaq but IIRC it is not part of the current system.

Andreas' profiler is definitely available:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2013-January/168233.html

The package is at http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/AndreasSystemProfiler/ and
you can load it in Squeak from SqueakMap.

The necessary support is in Cog/Spur. I made an attempt to get it working for
the base interpreter but was not successful.