[Pharo-project] [Vm-dev] Re: Can OSProcess functionality be implemented using FFI instead of plugin?

Denis Kudriashov dionisiydk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 14:18:48 UTC 2016

Hi

> I was thinking the following. Having to distribute the FFI wrapper (take
> as an example the myself wrapper) with the .ston files is a bit of a pain
> with MC.  So I was thinking...what if FFISharedPool has all the machinery
> to allow FFI lib wrapper developer (the developer of the MySQL wrapper), to
> autogenerate the ston file as we said, BUT, the ston file is stored as
> methods in the MYSQLInterface subclass? Probably under a "autogenerated"
> protocol. That way, it's very easy to distribute and in addition, at system
> startup it's easier to "search" for the "ston files".
>
> The only drawback is the for very large ston files MC will suffer a bit..
> but..
>
> Thoughts?

After reading this thread I have no understanding why "platform constants"
information should be distributed as ston files? Why not generate smalltalk
classes or methods for each platform? They will initialize pool variables
directly when platform change happens. And no problems with there
distribution