[Vm-dev] re: FFICHeaderExtractor first milestone (for early code reviewers)

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 12:37:59 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

>      Nice. I was writing little C programs to tell me various
> constants... it sounds like this automates that and keeps the
> interaction in Smalltalk.

Yeah, exactly. It is automate that and the result can be stored as "init"
methods (one per platform) in the shared pools directly.
Also, it will take care of initializing them (searching the correct init
method for the current platform) at startup.

Note that I called the project FFICHeaderExtractor and not
FFICConstantsExtractor. If time allows, I would also like to get info from
structs: sizeof and how they are defined internally. That would be yet
another feature to let more things to be done via FFI. See
https://github.com/marianopeck/FFICHeaderExtractor/issues/1  But that would
require some more effort!

--
Mariano