[Vm-dev] dangerous translation of MiscPrimitivePlugin code

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 22:26:32 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 3:00 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> > On 08-07-2016, at 1:49 PM, Nicolas Cellier <
> nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I don't know if it was reported yet, but we've got some nasty UB
> detected by C Compiler warning in primitiveFindSubstring:
>
> A long, long, time ago when Andreas & I were first making the plugins
> stuff we were determined that miscprimitiveplugin should be a very
> short-lived thing. Anyone feeling the urge to cleanup/out that ugliness
> should please do so asap.

The first thing to do is a performance measurement to find out which
primitives still pay their way.  Any that don't offer a substantial speedup
should be discarded.  Substantial would be say -33%.  Sista is making
excellent progress and will be here soon enough that code like
MiscprimitivePlugin's primitives will be optimised well.

--
best, Eliot