NumberedPrimitives must die! (Was: Re: [Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-topa.1900.mcz)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jul 11 20:31:01 UTC 2016

> On 11-07-2016, at 1:13 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
> Still, the use of interpreterProxy in external modules makes it impossible to do some optimizations.

Oh absolutely; but that only applies to modules built for external loading so it restricts the impact a lot  -and they can’t provide numbered primitives anyway.

I’m not at all sure how most OSs do dynamic linking stuff these days. If it is the case that they can connect up calls from a loaded library into a host(?) executable and references to suitable scoped variables - which RISC OS does, for example - then maybe we don’t need the interpreterProxy any more.

tim
Advanced design: Upper management doesn't understand it.