[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] New Cog VMs available

Luciano Notarfrancesco luchiano at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 22:24:10 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well, I won't stand in the way of you gaining more performance; quite the
> opposite; I encourage it.  If you have energy here please apply it.  But it
> would be nice if you added the speedups to our code base rather than
> introduced a dependency on GMP.

Yes, it would be awesome to improve large integer performance without
introducing a dependency on GMP. I think the smallest thing that would have
the biggest impact in performance is implementing highly optimized
multiplication (and perhaps division) for x86/x86_64/arm. If it was not
because of the license problems, we could just copy a couple of .S files
straight from GMP source code...

Now I'm very much focused on the Smalltalk side of my project. But if no
one does it first, I'll give it a shot.

I was going to suggest working with Sista, but that leaves the interpreter
> VMs out in the cold.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Sista. I was planning to implement some
primitives for what I think are the main bottlenecks (mostly operations
with arrays of integers or arrays of integers mod n where n fits in a 32
bits register for example), but I'm kind of (speculatively) hoping that
speculative optimizations might achieve similar performance as writing
those primitives in C  \o/