[Vm-dev] Removing UB to make SmallFloat handling gcc 4.9.2 -O2 compatible [WAS: first 64 bits windows VM Running]

Andres Valloud avalloud at smalltalk.comcastbiz.net
Thu Jul 21 20:43:44 UTC 2016

> For VMMaker this is not a problem yet. If it would be, we would see a
> compiler error ...  A compiler error is a lot easier to fix than an
> invisibly stricking UB answering the unexpected result.

I sympathize with this position.  However, based on experience, I
wouldn't trust any compiler to handle all cases of garbage-in,
garbage-out.  For example, GCC's manual states not all erroneous code is
reported much less detected.  Ultimately, the programmer is responsible
for all the code.  Learn From My Fail.

Andres.